Monday, April 29, 2013

So What's It Really Like Behind the Scenes? Interview post

I recently got the chance to interview Jonathan Galed, who works as a photographer for the WTVT-TV news station in Tampa, Florida.  He has covered the Yankees many times before, and has even interviewed some of them.  Since I want to be in production and in the news industry, Mr. Glaed would be a good connection to have.  Especially since he covers the Yankees and I am a huge fan!

 
1)  What has been your favorite event for the Yankees that you have covered?

 My favorite event was covering the first spring training meeting between the Yankees and Red Sox in Fort Myers at the former home of the Red Sox spring training, City of Palms Park. I was with the CBS station WINK-TV. It was a nationally televised night game on ESPN. My reporter and I were covering the fan element as it pertains to the rivalry. There is a lot of Red Sox fans in Fort Myers so that game is always a big one for the area. We shot pre-game warm ups and player interviews, fans enjoying the game, and then went live inside the ballpark post-game. First exposure to how ESPN rolls and the amount of equipment they bring. Funny story: I was packing up my live truck and pulling back cable, making a comment that I have so much cable to pick up (about 500 ft of a/v and power). A tech from ESPN taps my shoulder and says he has 1 mile. Of audio only. I promptly stopped complaining.
 

2) Some directors can get quite loud when yelling in your ear while covering a game. How do you react and stay calm during possible pressure situations?

Honestly, the best way to deal with a loud producer is to be proactive. Directors only talk to the production staff, producers talk to news crews. A happy producer wants to see all the elements they're expecting from you to be ready to go. Have the video that's going to air in ahead of time and have your live shot up with everything working. If you have a problem call them. Producers don't normally yell and scream unless they're inexperienced. And if all else fails, take the earpiece out!
 

3) Do you use portable or fixed-position cameras?

 I use a portable Panasonic p2 camera (HD). I'm field work so all my gear is meant to be portable.
 

4) Which Yankee player do you or did you look forward to interviewing the most? And why?

 I've interviewed CC, Kuroda (through translator) Pettitte, Rivera, and Carl Pavano (when he was with the Twins). I enjoyed the Rivera interview the best (press conference where he announced his retirement). Mariano was always my favorite Yankee growing up so I was the most excited to interview him. Even thought it was a press conference with a lot of reporters we all ask the same stuff. However, my dream interview would be with Paul O'Neil or Bernie Williams. They define what scrappy baseball is. They played with so much intensity. And I've always wanted to know what made that 1998 team so special. Was it a collection of talented veterans and young rookies? What happened in that clubhouse? And I'd want to hear why O'Neil beat up so many coolers and how many bats he'd go through a season.



It would have been a dream of mine to be at Mariano Rivera's press conference!  Although Galed had said that Mariano Rivera was his favorite player, I must say that mine would be Derek Jeter.  They are both two of the classiest people that have played the game.  The fact that Mr. Galed was able to interview future Hall-of-Fame players is something I hope to accomplish in my career. 
 

1 comment:

  1. What a great interview! This Jonathan Galed seems like a cool guy ;]

    ReplyDelete